I got a couple sick chicky’s in the house and thought I would make some soup. Chicken tortilla sounded good so I pulled out the cookbook and went to town on a recipe I havent tried yet. Im so excited about this creation that I want to share it with you.
I subed a few ingredients and it was fab.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- my substitute: 1/2 red bell pepper, diced and 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- One 32oz box chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- One 15oz can diced tomatoes
- My substitute: One 15oz can of diced tomatoes with green chillies
- 1lb boneless skinless chicken breasts whole
- Juice of 1 lime
- crushed tortilla chips
- my substitute: warm tortillas
- In a large sauce pan or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add in the onions and sauté till soft.
- Add the salt, bell pepper, garlic, and cumin and sauté for 2 mins.
- Add the broth bay leaf corn, tomatoes, and chicken. Bring to a boil then simmer on low for 10-15 mins till chicken is cooked through.
- Once chicken is cooked through, remove chicken from the pot and set aside to cool enough for you to touch. Once cooled shred with a fork or your fingers.
- Place the shredded chicken back in the broth, add the lime juice and simmer for approx. 3 mins to warm the chicken back up.
Additions to yummy it up: Shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream, cilantro, green onion.
Thank you Weelicious cookbook for the great recipe!
As for dessert… Do you have any left over candy canes?????????
- Crushed up candy canes. put the candy canes in a plastic baggy and crush them with a meat cleaver.
- Vanilla ice cream as much as your heart desires
- Chocolate syrup or fudge (optional)
Make your self a bowl of ice cream and sprinkle the candy cane on top.